My writing journey began with a challenge.
Travel with Joanne began when I challenged myself to discover and write about a different Sydney suburb each fortnight. My suburban exploration continued for over four years. While suburban exploration is no longer a priority, I continue to discover and write about new places and experiences both in Sydney, around Australia and overseas.
The blog continues to inspire others to get out and about in Sydney beyond their usual haunts.
I have also published two children’s picture books (see below).
Another challenge – to get one travel story published – has far exceeded any expectations.
My stories have been published in The Sydney Morning Herald, The Sunday Telegraph Escape, The New Zealand Herald, Great Walks Magazine, Reader’s Digest, Senior Traveller, Coast Magazine, Broadsheet, Traverse Magazine.
Links to published stories:
- New Zealand Herald 18 July 2023 Food Tour of Georgia (the Country)
- Sydney Morning Herald Good Weekend 3 June 2023 The Two of Us
- Sydney Expert (March 2023) Brooklyn NSW
- Australia Your Way (Feb 2023) Sydney to Broken Hill by train
- Sunday Telegraph Escape Chinatown Tour (January 2023)
- Sunday Telegraph Escape Hidden Harbour Beaches (January 2023)
- Coast Magazine Wollombi Spring Edition (September 2022)
- The Senior Traveller Pearl Farm Tour (August 2022)
- Sunday Telegraph Escape Ghost Tour (July 2022)
- Sunday Telegraph Escape Coffee and Kayak on Sydney Harbour (April 2022)
- Sunday Telegraph Escape Ramadan Food Tour (April 2022)
- Sunday Telegraph Escape Female Street Artists (March 2022)
- NZ Herald December 2021: Travel Inspiration for 2022 See Asia “From Here to There”
- Sydney Morning Herald: Scrabbled Miles August 2021
- Traverse Magazine June 2021: The Dunes are Alive (contact me for PDF)
- Senior Traveller March 2021: The Slow Food Earth Market (contact me for PDF)
- Broadsheet Portland Silos February 2021
- Senior Traveller: Razor Gangs Tour Surry Hills November 2020
- Senior Traveller: Rookwood Cemetery Tour October 2020
- Senior Traveller: Dangar Island creativity September 2020
- Senior Traveller: Lake Baikal story July 2020
- Sydney Morning Herald: Deliveroo February 2020
Pdfs available for the following stories
- Reader’s Digest: Genius Eddie and AI (Jewish Museum exhibition) – July 2023
- Senior Traveller: Burrawa Bridge climb – May 2023
- Senior Traveller: Oyster Farm tour – May 2023
Feedback from Happy Clients
“That is the best piece I have read on Kadoo Tours. The SMH, the Southern Courier and other bloggers have never done it such justice. So very detailed and accurate. We love it.” Grant Hyde, Kadoo Tours
“Hi Joanne, it was like walking the tour all over again. In fact, deja vu all over again – you captured the whole experience perfectly!…I love it …..Love your photography” Peter Hook, Hook Communications
“Thank you for a great story. Excellent review. Greatly appreciated your time, observations and indeed questions.” John Pastor, Go Local Tours
Discovering Sydney one Suburb at a Time
Find links to over 90 suburbs discovered by Travel with Joanne at the foot of the homepage. Downloadable maps and notes enable you to follow my route.
Explore other cultures and cuisines right here in Sydney. Take a coastal walk or discover the inner city or suburbs bursting with heritage. Suburban Sydney has much to offer the curious.
Tours I’ve Enjoyed
As not everyone enjoys exploring independently, I write about short tours in Sydney that interest me. Usually, I pay my own way. If I’m a guest of the operator, I will always let you know and write accurately about my experience.
Follow this link to the tours I’ve written about.
I regularly write about my travels both within Australia and overseas. These posts include personal essays as well as useful information for those wishing to do similar trips.
The Children’s Picture Books
My two self-published children’s picture books tell a story about places very dear to my heart, Dangar Island and the Hawkesbury River. “Dangar Island: Birds, Barrows a Ferry and Me” and “The Riverboat Postman” are suitable for children from about age 3 to early readers.
Dangar Island: Birds Barrows a Ferry and Me
“Dangar Island: birds, barrows, a ferry and me” is a simple story told in rhyme about the enviable life of children who live on Dangar Island. Available here
The Riverboat Postman
“The Riverboat Postman“, also in rhyme, tells the story of the ride that two children take on The Riverboat Postman, delivering mail along the Hawkesbury River. Available here